Domestic Builder Limited – Bricklaying and Blocklaying

What work can be undertaken by a Domestic Builder (limited to bricklaying and blocklaying)?


A Domestic Builder (limited) is limited to a class of building work for domestic building projects. In this case, limited to brickwork and blocklaying for homes and associated class 10 structures. The work itself involves carrying out brick or blockwork associated with the erection, construction, renovation, alteration, extension, improvement or repair of a building. The work includes, but is not limited to, the construction of internal/external walls, isolated piers, arches, fireplaces, chimneys, concrete rendering to buildings and masonry fixtures, rammed earth or form cell construction, and mud brick footings to houses.



What experience is required to apply to become a Domestic Builder (limited t0 bricklaying and blocklaying)? 


For all domestic building work, general experience is required. You can find out more information regarding the general experience in our ‘What General Experience is Required for Registration as a Domestic Builder‘ blog.


There is also work specific experience which is required where you must be able to demonstrate you have the capacity to carry out, manage or arrange the following activities with a high level of competence and to a professional standard:


  • interpreting plans, drawings and specifications indicating the location and specification for brickwork or blockwork, types or grades of bricks, and mortar composition
  • setting out and levelling
  • preparing the surface
  • ordering materials, including bricks and mortar, according to specifications
  • undertaking manual and mechanical handling of bricks for construction
  • preparing, mixing and laying mortar
  • construction battered masonry surfaces
  • repairing and maintaining clay bricks, cement blocks or bricks and related structures
  • concreting to simple forms, including installing formwork, reinforcement and concrete related to brickwork
  • completing base brickwork
  • establishing openings in brickwork, including to pin and prop openings and to place end bearing lintels
  • installing reinforcement for structural blockwork
  • applying damp proof courses
  • installing control joints
  • installing flashings
  • installing wall ties


In addition to the general and work specific experience, it is recommended that applicants hold prescribed qualifications as mentioned in our ‘Pathways to Builders Registration‘ blog.


To find out more information on your pathway towards Builders Registration or the CPC40120 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) qualification contact Parker Brent on 1300 773 737 or send us a web enquiry or email


Source: Victorian Building Authority