What General Experience is required for registration as a Domestic Builder?

In Victoria, there are three classes of Domestic Builder Registration: Domestic Builder (Limited), Domestic Builder (Manager) and Domestic Builder (Unlimited).


For people wishing to obtain a Domestic Builder’s Registration under any of these classes, you will need to be able to demonstrate your experience in carrying out, managing and/or arranging domestic building work.


But what experience is required?

The general experience which is required is different from the job-specific and technical experience which you must be able to show and provide in your application for Domestic Builder Registration. General experience involves being able to demonstrate the ability to:


  • Establish the requirement and apply for a building permit, and once obtained being able to comply with the building permit.
  • Produce cost estimates and quotations for building work.
  • Identify the need for, and if required establish a major domestic building contract.
  • Undertake planning and preparation for construction.
  • Arrange for sub-contractors and construction workers to carry out works safely and competently, and also to engage relevant tradespeople to undertake regulated work such as plumbing or electrical work.
  • Ensure that site safety inductions are undertaken by all persons entering the construction site, and to also ensure that site safety requirements are complied with at all times. In addition to this, ensuring that site safety plans are developed, communicated with others, monitored and maintained throughout the construction process.
  • Supervise the carrying out of construction work and ensuring compliance with the National Construction Code, Australian Standards and other local authority requirements.
  • Ensure that any faults in construction work are rectified.
  • Arrange protection works if required.
  • Maintain communication with clients, architects, designers, building surveyors and sub-contractors during the construction process.
  • Interpret plans, drawings and specifications related to the work. In addition, being able to set-out and prepare the site according to these plans and specifications.


If you’re looking to develop your skills further in any of these areas, consider undertaking the CPC40120 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) qualification.


Continue reading more from our blog to find out more about what’s involved in the Builder’s Registration process.


Contact us to speak with a training advisor about our Certificate IV and Diploma courses in Building and Construction.