Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Unique Student Identification (USI) number? How can I get one?

All students undertaking Nationally Recognised Training in Australia are required to have a Unique Student Identification (USI) number. If you are a new or continuing student undertaking Nationally Recognised Training, you need a USI in order to receive your qualification or statement of attainment. If you don’t have a USI you will not receive your qualification or statement of attainment. You can apply for a USI directly at or we can apply on your behalf (details are in the Application Pack and Student Handbook).  If you already have a USI number you will need to provide it at the time you are applying for a course.

What happens if I can’t attend class or need to take some time off from the course?

For all our courses a minimum attendance rate is required. More details are provided in the Parker Brent Student Handbook. If you can’t attend a class or need to take time off from the course for any reason, you will need to contact your trainer or the Parker Brent training administration team as soon as possible to discuss your training options.

Once I’ve completed a course, will I get my Builder’s Licence?

Parker Brent assists people to make informed choices regarding their training options and career pathways.

If you have completed a course with Parker Brent, you can register to attend one of our Registered Building Practitioner (RBP) Preparation Workshop. This workshop will assist participants in gaining a greater understanding of what is required when applying to become a Registered Builder with the Victorian Building Authority. For more information about Registered Building Practitioner requirements visit the Victorian Building Authority website –

How long do the qualifications take to complete?

Parker Brent provides both the CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) and CPC50210 Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) courses.

The Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) course runs for 34 weeks in duration.

The Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) course runs for 55 weeks in duration.

For more detailed information on the qualifications we offer, please visit the courses page.

What support services are available?

We have a dedicated Student Services team which is here to assist you during the course of your studies with us. You will also be able to meet with our Building & Construction Industry Expert, access to our Student Resource Facility, and obtain Job Application and Interview Preparation assistance if required. More information on how to access these services will provided upon course commencement.

What learning materials will I need?

For your chosen course, you will have access to the Parker Brent Portal where you can download your course materials and supporting documents. All students will also have the option to purchase a hard-copy of the Student Workbook and Learning Activities & Assessment tasks. Access to the Parker Brent Portal will be provided to you upon commencement of the course. Students undertaking the Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) will also receive a copy of the Australian House Building Manual (8th Edition).

What should I expect in my first Parker Brent class?

In your first class, you will undertake a brief introduction to course and meet your trainer and other classmates. You will also receive your Course Schedule, Training Plans and access to your learning materials. On your first night, you will also start the first Unit of Competency for your course. We recommend that all students bring writing materials and/or a laptop to class.

How do I know if I’m eligible for Government Funding?

Students must meet the eligibility requirements detailed in the guidelines from Skills Victoria about Determining Student Eligibility & Supporting Evidence. To find out if you’re eligible for Government Funding you can check out the online Funding Eligibility Indicator here or call us on 1300 773 737 to discuss your options. For further information on course fees, refer to our fee information or course information.


How do I enrol?

To enrol you will need to speak with a consultant from Parker Brent regarding the suitability of the course you have chosen and discuss if it is appropriate for your needs. You will need to complete an online Language, Literacy & Numeracy (LLN) Assessment as this will help us evaluate your current capabilities. You will also need to complete the Application Pack for your chosen course which will include a Pre-Training Review. If you would like to apply contact Parker Brent on 1300 773 737 or email


Apply today

Apply today for further information regarding our courses.