Why Do You Need To Be A Registered Builder?

Why You Need To Be A Registered Builder


In Victoria, if you’re a builder or tradesperson undertaking building work then you should be registered with the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) to:


  • Perform domestic building work which costs more than $10,000 which also includes all material and labour costs.
  • Carry out any re-blocking, re-stumping, demolition work or work where you remove a home regardless of the costs.
  • Provide more than one type of building work (such as plastering and painting) that costs more than $10,000 including labour and materials.


This $10,000 limit was introduced in August 2017 as part of the reforms implemented in 2017. The previous amount was $5,000.


So, what does this mean?


If you’re undertaking building work which costs more than $10,000 such as a kitchen or bathroom renovation then you need to consider applying to become a Registered Building Practitioner with the VBA.


If you’re planning any building work which involves re-stumping, re-blocking or if you’re planning on demolishing an existing home then you’ll need to be registered with the VBA.


For people who are planning on undertaking works which may involve more than one type of building work which costs more than $10,000 then you’ll need to be registered. For example, if you’re a carpenter and you plan on undertaking plastering and painting work then you’ll need to be registered in the relevant classes.


What types of Domestic Builder Registration are there?


There are two classes of Domestic Builder Registration in Victoria.


  • Domestic Builder (Unlimited)
  • Domestic Builder (Limited to a class of work*)


There are 29 classes of Domestic Builder (Limited) – you can read about Domestic Builder (Limited) registration here.


What do  you need to apply?


When you’re applying for your registration you will need to be able to demonstrate that you have both the knowledge and relevant qualifications. As well as that you have the required skills and experience.


You will need to be able to demonstrate that you have at least three years of relevant experience carrying out or managing components of construction work (depending on which category of type of registration you are applying for).


At Parker Brent, we provide relevant training for tradespeople and other building professionals which not only enhances your skills and knowledge but also provides you with a Nationally Recognised Qualification upon completion.


Both the CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) and CPC50210 Diploma of Building and Construction (Building) courses will provide you with skills and knowledge in Contract Administration, Estimating and Tendering, Project Management, Business Management, Building Codes and Standards, and Building Permits and other requirements.



To find out more about your pathway towards becoming a Registered Builder or our Certificate IV and Diploma qualifications give us a call on 1300 773 755.